SONG believes that it is always unacceptable for a child or young person to experience abuse of any kind and recognises its responsibility to safeguard the welfare of all children and young people by a commitment to a practice which protects them.
SONG recognises that:
- The welfare of the child/young person is paramount.
- All children regardless of age, disability, gender, racial heritage, religious belief, sexual orientation or identity, have the right to equal treatment and protection from all types of harm or abuse.
- The unique status of children and young people means that there is a particular responsibility to respect them as individuals, protect their vulnerability and nurture them; all those in SONG who have positions of authority over children and young people must use their authority with sensitivity and integrity.
- Working in partnership with children, young people, their parents, carers and their agencies is essential in promoting young people’s welfare.
The Purpose of the Policy: Protection for all:
- To provide protection for all children and young people in SONG.
- To provide volunteers and all those working on behalf of SONG with guidance on procedures they should adopt in the event that they suspect a child or young person may be experiencing, or be at risk of, harm.
This policy applies to all volunteers or anyone working on behalf of SONG.
SONG commits itself to providing a safe and supportive environment for all its work with children and young people.
SONG will seek to safeguard children and young people by:
- Valuing them, listening to and respecting them.
- Adopting child protection guidelines through procedures and a code of conduct for volunteers and those working on behalf of SONG.
- Recruiting volunteers safely, ensuring all necessary checks are made.
- Sharing information about child protection and good practice with children, parents, volunteers and those working on behalf of SONG.
- Sharing information about concerns with agencies who need to know and involving parents and children appropriately.
- Keeping up-to-date with Health and Safety legislation and guidelines.
The SONG committee will review policy and good practice annually.